Morphine prescription is upgraded to Fentanyl Patches & Fentanyl Lozenges

Saturday, July 2, 2011
Well I didn't blog yesterday because my son had his psychiatrist appointment & I had my pain management appointment, we left at 10:30 am and got home after 4pm.

My doctor is a very nice man. Warm hearted and really cared about what he does for a living. I talked to him about my chronic low back pain that I have been suffering from since 2005. I have a degenerative arthritic condition of my L4 & L5 discs, along with a large cyst on my spinal cord. I have been through physical therapy more than once and I have been through all the narcotics from percocet, vicodin, Desomorphine, Opana, Lidaderm patches, narcotic topical cream, Soma, Flexiril, the list goes on and on........over the course of 6 years.

This doctor has decided after reviewing my case that he wanted to put me on fentanyal patches 25mcg an hour, & 200mcg fentanyl lollipop an hour, plus 600mg of neurontin. So far all is good, I'm still waiting for it to build up in my system. Fentanyl is 100 times more potent than morphine, and doses are measured in micrograms instead of milligrams. Fentanyl lozenges (Actiq) are a solid formulation of fentanyl citrate on a stick in the form of a lollipop that dissolves slowly in the mouth for transmucosal absorption. These lozenges are intended for opioid-tolerant individuals and are effective in treating breakthrough cancer pain. It is also useful for breakthrough pain for those suffering bone injuries, severe back pain, neuropathy, arthritis, and some other examples of chronic nonmalignant pain. The unit is a berry-flavored lozenge on a stick which is swabbed on the mucosal surfaces inside the mouth—inside of the cheeks, under and on the tongue and gums—to release the fentanyl quickly into the system. It is most effective when the lozenge is consumed in 15 minutes. The drug is less effective if swallowed. Fentanyl is sometimes given intrathecally as part of spinal anesthesia or epidurally for epidural anesthesia and analgesia. Because of fentanyl's high lipid solubility, its effects are more localized than morphine. Intravenous fentanyl is extensively used for anesthesia and analgesia, most often in operating rooms and intensive care units. It is often administered in combination with a benzodiazepine, such as midazolam, to produce procedural sedation for endoscopy, cardiac catheterization, oral surgery, etc. Additionally, fentanyl is often used in cancer therapy and other chronic pain management due to its effectiveness in relieving pain. I really hope that this medicine regiment works for me and that my spinal cord stimulator is able to be implanted within the next 7 months. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers regarding my pain and well being.

Copyright © 2011 www.http://behindthewhitepicketfencearmylife.blogspot.com. All rights reserved

0 feedback opinions:

Post a Comment