Bipolar 101

Wednesday, July 27, 2011


Every day I take medicine. Without it, I wouldn't be able to function

Bipolar Disorder is a brain disorder. Neurotransmitters (and probably other chemicals) in your brain cause your moods.

If you're like most people, there will likely be a lot of trial and error... The first medicine you try might not work at all, or the dosage may have to be adjusted before it works. It is also possible that it works initially and then stops working. Medication combinations are common.

It is also possible that it might take awhile before you find the right doctor for you.

 Bipolar Disorder is usually first treated with a Mood Stabilizer, such as a Lithium or Depakote, which are common first line drugs for it. Other drugs that your doctor may try are Carbamazepine, Seroquel, Risperidone, and Geodon, just to name a few. There are many to choose from, and your doctor will decide what to try based on your symptoms and how you respond to medication.

If you are suffering from depression, you also may be described an anti-depressant. There are dozens of antidepressant medications to choose from. Most of these change the level of Serotonin in your brain, and some of them also change the other neurotransmitters like Dopamine and Norepinephrine.

Check out this article for information on medication treatment for Bipolar disorder.

Often people with Bipolar Disorder also have anxiety, and if that's the case, you may be prescribed something for anxiety. However, sometimes the antidepressants and mood stabilizers also help with that.

Doctors generally don't prescribe antidepressants by themselves if you have Bipolar Disorder because antidepressants can cause mania and rapid cycling - which means faster mood changes!


Awareness of Symptoms:

I constantly monitor how I'm feeling and I adjust my meds and activities based on how I'm feeling.

The trick to controlling Bipolar Disorder is to recognize when a mood episode is starting up and to do something early to try to stop it from getting worse.

Since each person is different, your symptoms aren't going to be the same as everyone



Create a Low Stress Environment for Yourself........... Most Important Thing!!!


I know this may be easier said than done. There will always be bills to pay, people you don't get along with, and the unexpected turn of events from time to time.

 However, you can do things to cushion yourself a bit and protect yourself from stress. Stress is the biggest DE-stabilizer. Even if you've found the right medicine, a stressful time can cause breakthrough symptoms and might require a med adjustment.

Here's what I've found about HOW to create a low stress environment:

 Pick your battles wisely. Think about the importance of the battle, and about your emotional state before getting involved in a situation that may take up your emotional energy.

 Create a routine for yourself. Do some of the same things every day, in the same order. It helps make life less predictable. Knowing what's coming next will help you to control your moods.

 Sleep and eat regularly. Not sleeping can induce mania. Not eating can cause mood problems related to blood sugar.

 Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and drugs. This differs from person to person. For me, avoiding caffeine is especially important.

 Save up money so that you can get through rough times. Financial stress is one of the biggest stresses. Figure out a way to save some money. Putting your change in a jar is one way. It might not seem like much but it can really add up.

Have positive relationships. If you are having relationship trouble, see a therapist to work through it. If there are toxic people in your life, consider limiting their contact with you. Develop friendships with people who understand your Bipolar disorder and who will look out for you.

Be Honest about Bipolar Disorder. Some days I think that my bipolar disorder is cured, and now I can go back to school and become an emergency room doctor. I think I would love the thrill of making life saving decisions...... But wait a moment. I have bipolar disorder and stress makes things worse, not better! So as I consider my career, I have to be honest about what kind of work is low stress. If I didn't have bipolar disorder, I might go for a stressful job, but I know that would make my disorder flare up. It's hard because I know that I am smart enough to do some jobs but my brain isn't well enough

Copyright © 2011 www.http://behindthewhitepicketfencearmylife.blogspot.com. All rights reserved

0 feedback opinions:

Post a Comment