Blood ISN'T thicker than Water

Friday, July 8, 2011
I’ve created little pockets of friends wherever I’ve lived and organized them into loving, supportive family tribes. I have friendships that go back 20 years and some longer, people who I am not obligated to love and who are not obligated to love me, but somehow the love is there and I believe sometimes even stronger than blood because it has been created out of choice. My family will never be who I expected them to be. They won’t be the type of people who call to see how my week is, that is just not their style. It doesn’t make them bad people, it just makes us different. They have each other and I have a group of people who I depend on regularly. Although these people aren’t related by blood, I know that I can always count on them as a support system. Friends are the family we choose. I am also relieved, although begrudgingly so, that I am not the only person I know in this situation. While it is just as hurtful to know someone who has the same odd relationship with their immediate family, it is nice to be able to talk to someone about it and be there for each other. I realized that I was worthy of love- of amazing, supportive, unconditional love. I realized that I chose these fantastic people to be in my life and I am so lucky to have them. I also realized that while I am sure my family does love me, I cannot expect them to change just as they cannot expect me to be more like them. We are different animals that happen to share DNA. There are a handful of people in my life that I can count on. The ones I can call at any hour of the night because my a/c or my heart is broken. These people are my family and though we may not look alike or have the same last name – we have the same purpose: to love each other anyway ©

Copyright © 2011 www.http://behindthewhitepicketfencearmylife.blogspot.com. All rights reserved

0 feedback opinions:

Post a Comment