Moral vs. Political

Tuesday, July 5, 2011
I was standing in my closet, getting dressed, and, once again, a stream of thoughts just started running through my mind. This happens to me a lot. I'll start thinking about something that is really important to me, and I won't know what to do with it, so I just think it through, lecturing myself or whatever, and that's it. This morning I decided it was time to start sharing my thoughts with the world! Or, at least with whoever will listen. The topic at hand this morning was abortion. It seems like that is what I think about a lot lately. The thing that was bothering me this morning was how abortion has been made into such a political issue. This is something I know to be false. It is not a political issue--it's a moral issue. I know it sounds cliche, but it is so true, and I think that people really don't stop to think about what they are saying when they call themselves "pro-choice" or even when they call themselves "pro-life". It just goes along with being part of whichever political party they affiliate themselves with. The problem is that I know so, so many democrats that are very pro-life ideologically, but they can't get beyond the political statement they think it makes to call themselves as such. Here lies my issue with abortion as a political issue. We can argue all day long about the moral implications of so many political issues, but when it comes to abortion, when it comes to the right of the most innocent and vulnerable members of our society, the issue should be black and white. Not democrat or republican. The issue is about whose life has more value, and as a human being, and specifically as an American, our core beliefs are that every life has value--equal value. We need to ask ourselves not if it is politically correct to oppose abortion, but if it is our moral obligation to protect the unborn--the LIVING unborn.

My question to everyone is 2-way: 1st, do you truly believe that EVERY human being has been endowed with these rights from their Creator: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness? 2nd, will you ask yourself WHEN you believe we attain those rights...is it when we reach a certain age? Status? When we have a heartbeat? 10 fingers and 10 toes? Or is it when we become a "life"--something that is scientifically proven to happen at conception? Unfortunately, our culture has become more and more in the business of devaluing human life on all levels. And, the value of life, my friends, is not something that should be political.

Copyright © 2011 www.http://behindthewhitepicketfencearmylife.blogspot.com. All rights reserved

0 feedback opinions:

Post a Comment